Saturday 14 November 2020

District and Circle

Finished November 12 
District and Circle by Seamus Heaney


I was feeling in the mood for some poetry lately, so pulled this one that has been on my shelf for some time. 
The subjects of the poems here vary widely. The title poem refers to the London Underground, with others looking at common objects, memories returned of childhood friends, food, an ancient bogman, wildlife, or the feel of a place visited. 
His writing requires concentration for me to focus on the words, consider meaning and allusion and connect the poems to my own life and experiences. 
Poetry is a great way to slow down and thus good for the times we are in. I think I shall pull more poetry off my shelves soon.
My copy of this was used, and I enjoyed the copious notes made by what appears to be a student analyzing the poems. This added to my experience in an interesting way.

No comments:

Post a Comment