Wednesday 18 November 2020

My Books for Classic Spin #25

 I was successful in knocking off a classic that had been on my shelf for years when I did the last Classic Spin, so I'm definitely up for another one. 

Here's the challenge host post for Classics Club Spin 25

Here is my list of books.
1. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
2. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
3. The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope
4. The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley
5. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
6. Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence
7. Roxana by Daniel Defoe
8. Remembrance of Things Past 1 by Marcel Proust
9. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
10. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
11. The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
12. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
13. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
14. Madame Bovary by Gustav Flaubert
15. Dracula by Bram Stoker
16. Persuasion by Jane Austen
17. The Cretan Runner by George Psychoundakis
18. The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies
19. Seven Gothic Tales by Isak Dinesen
20. Fire from Heaven by Mary Renault

Some are definitely more of a challenge than others!


18 comments:

  1. Some of my favorites on your list! I particularly loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Persuasion, and The Way We Live Now -- I became a huge Trollope fan because of it. It's long but so wonderful and a really fast read. Good luck with your Spin pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad to hear that about the Trollope.

      Delete
  2. You've got some favorites on your list as well as some I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I looked at what was already sitting on my shelves or my TBR said was on my shelves. Not sure where some actually are!
      Might have to dig if they are the winning spin.

      Delete
  3. David Copperfield is one of my favorites by Dickens. I read Dracula, probably a year ago, it surprised me. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seven Gothic Tales...is weirdly fabulous. Some other great choices and one UGH! But I won't bias you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So now I'm really curious about that UGH one. Do tell

      Delete
  5. I absolutely LOVE The Phantom Tollbooth. Such a clever and fantastic tale! Happy spinning from one Canadian to another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read The Phantom Tollbooth when I was a kid, but remember very little about it. I have an annotated version on my shelf, so this may be the time to go deeper on that one.

      Delete
  6. To begin with I thought I hadn't read any on your list but then I got to numbers 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 and 16. All good reads. It's an interesting list, although I always dodge Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many I love in here, especially #12. Which would be So Big, by Ferber for me:
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2020/11/20/the-classics-club-the-classics-spin-25/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh golly, Phantom Tollbooth! And Tree Grows in Brooklyn. So many good books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, there are still a few "children's classics" I never got to or have forgotten almost entirely

    ReplyDelete
  10. Persuasion is incredibly good, and I just finished rereading David Coppefield--it's long but a lot of fun. Really, a lot of fun stuff on the list. Happy spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shonna, you have a great list! I love Persuasion, Great Expectations, David Copperfield and Dracula! Although sadly I wasn't a big fan of The Water Babies. Good luck with the Spin! 🤞😃

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read 5 of those, i'm curious to see what you'll think of Mme Bovary :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. And it's Madame Bovary for me as #14 on the list was chosen. So I guess IzaBzh will see what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete