Tuesday 25 December 2012

TBR Pile Challenge for 2013

I'm joining the TBR Pile Challenge again hosted by Roof Beam Reader, despite not completing it the last couple years.

The rules are that you have to choose books that have been on your shelf for more than a year. Choose twelve books, with two alternates in case you can't finish any of the ten. I give the books here, and add the dates and a link to the review once I've read them.

1. Clown Girl by Monica Drake
2. Matterhorn by Karl Malantes
3. A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz
4. The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
5. Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun
6. Carpentaria by Alexis Wright
7. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
8. Barnacle Love by Anthony De Sa [Finished October 11]
9. Educating Alice by Alice Steinbach
10. Still Alice by Lisa Genova [Finished December 26]
11. The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker
12. A Walk along the Wall by Hunter Davies [Finished December 20]

Alternates
1. The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun by Sebastien Japrisot
2. The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

Usually I try to find some that fit other challenges, but this year I just scanned the shelves, looking for a variety of books. They are mostly fiction, but a few nonfiction are thrown in and the genres vary widely. Hopefully that will keep me reading.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Lace Reader, almost took up lace making. Your Neil Gaiman book is on my shelf too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back again with us this year! I completed my 2010 and 2011 lists, but this year it looks like I'm only going to reach 11 of 12. The last few remaining options are all super long and, unfortunately, I have to work the next few days... otherwise I MAYBE could have pulled it off. Drat!

    Interesting list.. Neil Gaiman is the only one of these authors that I've read, though I have heard good things about The Lacuna and Matterhorn. Looking forward to your reviews! Good luck - maybe 2013 will be your year!

    ReplyDelete