Sunday 15 August 2010

Birthday Books

Had a family get-together today, and a delayed birthday celebrations.
Received a pile of books:
* The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis [I took this out of the library, but didn't get too far before I had to return it]
* Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd [followup novel to Restless]
* The Tenants of Moonbloom by Edward Lewis Wallant [NYRB release]
* Stargazing by Peter Hill [memoirs of a lighthouse keeper and winner of Saltire Award]
* Bittersweet: lessons by my mother's kitchen by Matt McAllester [highly recommended]
* Biblioholism: the literary addiction by Tom Raabe [secondhand book, gift from my in-laws cats]
* How to Have a Beautiful Mind by Edward de Bono [I've liked his previous works]
* The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi [on my list and winner of Le Prix Goncourt 2008]
* Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas [novel about Japanese internment camp in Colorado]
* The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw[a first novel with a magical storyline]
* Journey to the Edge of the World by Billy Connolly [travels in Canada]
* Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun [winner of Nobel Prize, but unknown to me until now]

I also got a couple of CDs and a DVD documentary.
Looks like it will all keep me busy for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment