Sunday 24 February 2019

Other Worlds

Finished February 16
Other Worlds by Barbara Michaels

I usually like Barbara Michaels fiction as they have a touch of both mystery and paranormal. This one is a little different. The setup is a fire-side meeting between a number of famous men: Harry Houdini, Arthur Conan Doyle, the psychoanalyst Nandor Fodor, and others. Most of those attending have met similarly before and shared stories of unusual and mysterious situations, then give their own ideas on the truth behind them. This particular meeting has two stories.
One happened in small town Tennessee, where a family is first threatened by noises, which grow to more physical manifestations, threats of death, and a reappearance decades later.
The other is in small town Connecticut, where a recently remarried woman finds that her new husband's interest in the paranormal seems to threaten her children, and bring her unpleasant notoriety.
Each of the men has their own take on the situations, with some agreement but it is a woman author who tells the last story and whose intellect is a match for the mens'.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is one of the few Barbara Michaels' books I haven't read. Or if I ever did read it, I don't remember it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across it during some library weeding, but it definitely wasn’t as good IMO as what I expected

    ReplyDelete