Tuesday 19 June 2012

Quiet

Finished June 18
Quiet: the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking by Susan Cain, read by Kathe Mazur

This book fascinated me. I've always thought of myself as shy, having difficulty making small talk, and uncomfortable in social situations. But I have spoken in public, lead a team at work, and smile to people I don't know at conferences. According to this, I may be a pseudo-extrovert, making the effort outside my comfort zone in the interest of things I am passionate about: books, helping others, and social issues. Over time, I've become better at it (make it 'til you fake it).
But that is just a tidbit and this book offers so much. Showing us how introverts have contributed in a world where extroversion is valued highly, this book looks at other qualities often associated (some rightly, some wrongly) with introversion. We see how to use the strengths of introversion to make valuable contributions and how to make sure every child (introvert or extrovert) develops to their potential.
Through psychology and neuroscience, Cain shows the qualities of introverts and how society has undervalued them. With lots of research, personal experiences and stories from real people, this book will change the way you look at the world and the people around you.
Because I listened to the audiobook, I found myself wanting to go back to certain sections (not that easy) and will be rereading this in hardcopy form again very soon.

1 comment: