Global Reading Challenge
I was glad to see this one going again and thought maybe this year, I would actually complete it! I went for the Expert level again.
As in the past, the 2014 Global Reading Challenge (2014GRC) challenged you to expand your reading boundaries, go where you haven't been before, move a little outside your comfort zone.
You could read any genre so long as the books are fiction.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The Expert Challenge
Read three novels from each of these continents in the course of 2014:
Africa, Asia, Australasia/Oceania, Europe, North America, South America (please include Central America where it is most convenient for you)
The Seventh Continent (here you can either choose Antarctica or your own ´seventh´ setting, eg the sea, the space, a supernatural/paranormal world, history, the future – you name it).
From your own continent: try to find a country, state or author that is new to you.
Select novels from twenty-one different countries or states if possible. (For Australasia, selecting a different state for your last book will be acceptable)
1. Between Heaven and Earth by Eric Walters (Tanzania) Finished February 8
2. The Cairo Affair by Olen Steinhauer (Egypt) Finished June 30
3. Ghana Must Go by Taiye Selasi (Ghana) Finished July 6
1. Teatime for the Firefly by Shona Patel (India) Finished January 5
2. Touch by Adania Shibli (Palestine) Finished January 13
3. In the Orchard, The Swallows (Pakistan) Finished April 18
1. A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (Australia) Finished September 29
1. Death of a Nightingale by Lene Kaaberbol and Agnete Friis (Denmark) Finished January 11
2. Necessary as Blood by Deborah Crombie (England) Finished January 12
3. The Tulip Eaters by Antoinette van Heugten (Netherlands) Finished January 15
1. The Obituary Writer by Ann Hood (United States) Finished January 3
2. Sweetness from Ashes by Marlyn Horsdal (Canada) Finished January 5
3. The Poisoned Pawn by Peggy Blair (Cuba) Finished April 18
1. Archipelago by Monique Roffey (Trinidad; Margarita Island, Venezuala; Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba, Netherlands Antilles; Cartagena, Colombia; San Blas Islands, Panama; Panama Canal; Galapagos Islands) Finished September 27
2.Kilometer 99 by Tyler McMahon. Finished November 8 (El Salvador)
1. A Conspiracy of Alchemists by Liesel Schwarz (Steampunk) Finished April 14
2. The Wood Queen by Karen Mahoney (fantasy city of Ironbridge) Finished August 17
3. The Childhood of Jesus by J.M. Coetzee (unnamed land) Finished September 5