Tuesday 4 May 2010

Rediscovered Classic

Finished May 2
Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey
Discovered this thanks to another blogger (thanks Nymeth). Persephone publishes rediscovered classics with a leaning toward female authors and experiences. Besides this book, I've bought a few others from them for my TBR pile. This is a short one, originally published in 1932 and rereleased by Persephone in 2007, and has a lovely preface by Frances Partridge, Julia's lifelong friend.
The action all takes place on the wedding day of 22-year-old Dolly Thatcham, and all occurs in her home before marriage. We see her younger sister Kitty, her mother, a variety of other relations of diverse ages, and a couple of her friends, Evelyn and Joseph. The point of view changes several times, but lets us into the thoughts of feelings of the characters. So much is going on here in such a subtle way that it shows the wonderful talents of the author. An amazing little book, and hugely enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh - I love subtle. I haven't read this one yet, but, as most Persephones, it's on my wishlist. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete