Monday 28 January 2008

Psychological Mystery

Finished January 26
The Chameleon's Shadow by Minette Walters
The latest mystery by Walters has an injured soldier from Iraq as its main character. Lieutenant Charles Acland suffered facial injuries, including the loss of an eye. He also has amnesia around his time in Iraq, and migraines.
Previous to his posting to Iraq, he had broken up with his fiance and is reluctant to talk about it. He prefers time alone, and doesn't like to be touched. He also seems to have a lot of anger issues around women, including his own mother. When his aggression results in a fight in a pub, the attention of police is drawn to him. The investigation of three related murders and an assault in the area that appear to have elements of aggression in them leads the police to consider him a suspect for them.
As he begins to deal with his aggression and starts to talk to his doctor about the sources of his rage, he also finds himself drawn further into the investigation.
I liked the character Acland, as well as several of the supporting characters used here. I also was interested in the theory of singularity one psychiatrist mentions, and how that relates to random events. It caused me to look at things differently.

1 comment:

  1. I've had the chance to read one book by this author and I was smitten. I do hope to read more by her one day. I'll add this one to my wish list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete