Monday 6 April 2009

Inspiring Read

Finished April 6
Hot, Flat, and Crowded: why we need a green revolution -- and how it can renew America by Thomas L. Friedman
I loved this book. I have been following the environmental issue and politicians' responses to it for a few years, but Friedman really brings it together here. He doesn't shy away from the realities of what we have done and what we need to do, but he does make it seem possible. I found the chapter on China and what it is doing particularly interesting. We in the west need to get our politicians away from using the environmental agenda against each other and work together so we strengthen our own countries and face this world issue with leadership. It made me think about what I was doing (the "easy" things like changing light bulbs and installing a more efficient furnace and windows), to what I could do. I discovered there is a solar initiative in my own neighbourhood and am going to their next meeting. This is a book that everyone should read. I found it energizing me to take action.

No comments:

Post a Comment