Wednesday 23 April 2008

Prequel

Finished April 23
Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson
I've been a huge Anne of Green Gables fan since I was a kid, visiting the tourist centre in PEI on a summer vacation once and buying all the books, so I was eager to read this.
The book includes references made in LM Montgomery's books to Anne's earlier life, and had a number of interesting episodes. However it just didn't do it for me. That said, the author didn't try to copy Montgomery's style, which is probably good, and yet that may be why it didn't feel a part of the whole to me. Prequels are always difficult anyway, and when written by someone other than the original writer, the difficulty only increases.
The story was interesting, and there were many good characters, although they aren't written as deeply as I would have hoped. I think that fan's of Anne will still find it an enjoyable read, and it offers a interesting idea of how Anne's personality began.

No comments:

Post a Comment